Gifting in Times of Debt
- Categorized in: Taking Action
The holidays are times to share spiritual meaning and gratitude; it does not need to be a time to increase debt and thus emotional strife. Indeed, I think that sometimes we even begin to harbor grudges when we feel that there is some requirement to expend funds to BUY gifts when we otherwise need money for housing, food, and bills.
Our suggestion is that you consider giving the gift of yourself! You can give the gift of open appreciation. There are many books and magazines that have ideas and instructions for gifts you can craft...great ideas, but...many of them do require some expenditures that you may not really be able to afford.
What you will find below are some ideas that have no/minimal financial costs...they might cost you some time. I have tried to keep your expenses to less than $10.00.
About the only items you might need to purchase...spray paint, spray glue, school glue. Probably… a small inexpensive glue gun, and perhaps…cheap beads and ribbons.
- Write a free verse poem about your loved one or something/someone they care for. If you don't think you have the talent...look for poetry on the Internet, or, look at old Christmas cards for verses you enjoy.
- Write a note of appreciation and gratitude for your loved one or friends and post on Facebook to share with the "world".
- Make a collage of photos that are on your computer...give them nifty titles.
- Research the Internet for great quotations that your recipient would like. Make a pretty page with your quotes. You can print on colored paper.
- Write your own E book. Use quotes, photos, descriptions of remembered times…all personalized for recipient. You can use clipart to make interesting.
- Make up several " coupons " that provide for activities you will do for recipient...they can "cash in". Example: This entitles John to four (4)15 minute foot rubs during the month of December, 2010.
Decorations and wrap
- Look around your home for interesting things that you can spray paint for that holiday sparkle.
- Old glassware or cups can make pretty candle holders. Or be filled with potpourri.
- Pinecones, laurel leaves, twigs, small stones, pebbles...all can be sprayed and used in a variety of ways.
- You might purchase spray glue and add glitter to your items.
- Paper bags can be made festive with poster paint.
- Napkin rings are easily made from empty paper towel or toilet paper roles. Spray glue and wrap in ribbon or foil paper..or...!
- Soup cans can be cleaned... spray painted; wrapped in ribbons; wrapped in foil gift wrap.
- The tops of coffee cans or other lids...even plastic ones can be wrapped in foil and be used to hold pillar candles or votives.
- For your tree...spray paint twine, rope, string. You can spray long strands in different colors and braid. You can use thread that you twist together for bulk...spray glue...then spray paint. Glitter can be added.
- Wind some pretty thread into designs around old bulbs...glue.
- Purchase plastic beaded jewelry from the dollar store...spray and use on tree, center pieces, etc.
- Large safety pins can be painted and old beads or any small items can be glued onto them for pretty Xmas wear. Or make tiny bows and glue on. You may need to wrap the outer edge with wool or ribbon to provide a larger surface for the baubles you glue on.
- You can do the same with women's hair combs...also make great gifts.
- Cut off the fronts of pretty Xmas cards...particularly foil cards... and glue felt to back. Use plastic spray to make waterproof. They make lovely coasters.
- Recycle Christmas cards...glue photos or computer written message over the old signatures. Or...write a new message, cut to size and glue.
- Make mini trees using coat hangers...twist around small posts or ? Have a skinny lamp base...twist hangers around to make "branches" and hang small bulbs or trinkets or beads.
Use your own imagination and creativity to make this a truly happy season AND one that reduces, rather than increases, stress. Find the opportunity... relax and enjoy what you do have.
Look for the gratitude each day…perhaps this requires a change in your mindset…you are in charge of your mind and you can find the joy!